Comic Talk and General Discussion *

The war between Isreal and HMAS, a political stance...
Ozoneocean at 6:24PM, Nov. 14, 2023
(online)
I generally avoid this stuff online, but that's a bit unrealistic.

My stance is that I condemn the war unequivocally.
I don't care about the justifications for either side. I don't care about tribalism. I condemn hate against the ethnic and religious groups involved- anti-Semitism, anti-Muslim views, hate for Jewish people or Palestinians. I condemn “support” for Israel, the IDF, or HAMAS.

All that matters are the civilians and people who help them, regardless of ethnicity, religion, or politics. Everything else is just evil.

The area needs an enforced ceasefire by the UN because the conflict is a dangerous cancer that can infect the rest of the middle east, Africa and Asia. It's an engine that drives terrorism and conflict globally so it's in all our interest that it be stopped. It affects us all.
lothar at 6:46PM, Nov. 14, 2023
(offline)
Religion is fucking stupid. We are on the verge of creating artificial intelligence but are still killing each other like it's WWI. Religion is a tool, just like racism, student debt, or communism. These baby-blood drinking mind-uploading mother-fuckers with their mega yachts and doomsday bunkers are the only real enemy of mankind. And they would eliminate the rest of us if they could.
Ozoneocean at 7:46PM, Nov. 14, 2023
(online)
lothar wrote:
Religion is fucking stupid. We are on the verge of creating artificial intelligence but are still killing each other like it's WWI. Religion is a tool, just like racism, student debt, or communism. These baby-blood drinking mind-uploading mother-fuckers with their mega yachts and doomsday bunkers are the only real enemy of mankind. And they would eliminate the rest of us if they could.
Yep, religion is an artefact of tribalism.
War is about resources and at the simplest form it always comes down to: my group needs your land.

War isn't even a human invention. Rather the opposite is true- humans are the only creatures that actually try and advocate for peace, even with other species.
All creatures will happily fight for limited resources and the dominance of their species. It's not even about intelligence or even life- plants, fungi, bacteria, parasites, and viruses all follow the same patterns but so do chemical reactions and quantum forces. “War” is endemic on every scale and form.

The true beauty of humanity is that we can fight against it.

As for the mega rich tech-bro parasites- they're just another mindless cog that pushes for dominance over others, same as at any other level. They're pathetic.
bravo1102 at 12:30AM, Nov. 15, 2023
(offline)
It's all very Old Testament. A war of extermination, to kill everyone? It transcends a conflict over resources and the war is not for land, but to kill the enemy, resources be damned. Doesn't matter what is destroyed so long as every single one of them is dead just like with Yahweh insisting on genocide and punishing the king who showed mercy.
last edited on Nov. 15, 2023 12:31AM
Hapoppo at 6:09PM, Nov. 15, 2023
(online)
Ozoneocean wrote:
I generally avoid this stuff online, but that's a bit unrealistic.

My stance is that I condemn the war unequivocally.
I don't care about the justifications for either side. I don't care about tribalism. I condemn hate against the ethnic and religious groups involved- anti-Semitism, anti-Muslim views, hate for Jewish people or Palestinians. I condemn “support” for Israel, the IDF, or HAMAS.

All that matters are the civilians and people who help them, regardless of ethnicity, religion, or politics. Everything else is just evil.

The area needs an enforced ceasefire by the UN because the conflict is a dangerous cancer that can infect the rest of the middle east, Africa and Asia. It's an engine that drives terrorism and conflict globally so it's in all our interest that it be stopped. It affects us all.

100% agree, but going off their record with how they've handled the Ukraine/Russia War (just to name the most recent one) I wouldn't hold my breath that the powers that be will approach this with the goal of ending it quickly and in a peaceful manner. War pigs gonna war pig, sadly…
Ozoneocean at 6:24PM, Nov. 15, 2023
(online)
bravo1102 wrote:
Doesn't matter what is destroyed so long as every single one of them is dead
Resources (typically characterised by land but definitely not always) are usually the true goal. Even extermination (genocide) is usually a subset of that because once you eliminate a rival they no longer threaten your position and ability to keep your resources.
-And you usually get theirs in the process. :(

Exterminations often traditionally involved more of a symbolic extermination: you'd wipe out their culture and absorb the remnant of their population into your own, usually as slaves but eventually as part of your group.

People often characterise the cause of war as stemming from illogical human thought processes and madness, evil intent etc, we use religion among other things as an explanation. But those are really post hoc rationalisations.
Even the crusades gained valuable territories for European powers across north Africa and created paths for advancement and social mobility for thousands of nobles and commoners.

What is really lost of gained in a war? In any war? What is really at stake? Ultimately it's the dominance of one group over another.
We don't have to characterise the cause of war as evil because the war itself and the effect it has on us is already demonstrably evil. An evil cause for war suggests a just one, which is wrong.

This is a very tricky subject though because it deals in extremes and realities.

——–

As relates here:
Ultimately Hamas wants Palestinian independence, they want enough land to make that happen but they are using extremely harmful and evil methods to achieve that, which were not only horrific in their initiation but also in what it was intended to cause: the massive retaliation by the IDF against the Palestinian people.
One could assume their real objective is to energise other sympathetic Muslim powers in the region (like Iran), to escalate things into an international conflict. Typical terrorist objectives: use limited resources to cause outrage and escalation of conflic.

Meanwhile the right-wing forces in Israel ultimately want the land the Palestinians occupy and they want to remove what they see as a threat to their country. They're prepared to commit any atrocity to do that because they see themselves as superior and they think of it as justified retaliation. They have support from “the west” because culturally they're a western community in the middle of the region, connected by heritage, culture, religion, commerce and trade. They also have vital strategic positioning.
bravo1102 at 3:15AM, Nov. 16, 2023
(offline)
That is a very well presented and level headed evaluation of what Clauswitz called “ diplomacy by other means” but it's avtouch too Age of Reason and lacking the human element. Many military Actions are rationalized after the fact and not beforehand.
It should be pointed out that there are a few deserts that were once thriving urban centers because it was thought necessary to erase the place and population and not conquer it. Or like Carthage leveled and then not repopulated for a generation to make a clean break because “Carthage must be destroyed”.
The Crusades however are a great example of a war for economic benefits hidden behind a facade of religious fervor. The First Crusade was led by younger sons or those who wanted bigger titles. When later crusades were fought by kings they were often settled through negotiations to keep commerce undisturbed. Even the supposedly rapacious Mongols could be very rational about Conquest versus blind destruction.
So you really did nail it. But I guess I have a visceral response about what you see looking through the periscopes of those Israeli tanks because I've looked through them myself.
last edited on Nov. 16, 2023 3:17AM
memo333 at 11:08AM, Nov. 16, 2023
(offline)
I think the only solution here is for russia…usa..and other countries to intervene and end this.

This 2 fighting will NEVER END…..

someone has to step inbetween.

I think these 2 are just to infected with rage and vengance…so it doenst matter if they make a truce,…if theres peace someday something will happen and everything will start all over again.

This must end like in ww2……..something really bad…must happen.,…I hope its not an atomic bomb…….

but…

something really BAD, must happen for this to end……

is there another more peaceful solution?

All my stuff here: https://linktr.ee/memo333
last edited on Nov. 16, 2023 11:11AM
mightguy15 at 8:16PM, Nov. 18, 2023
(offline)
It’s unfortunately never going to happen if HAMAS keeps insisting Israel shouldn’t exist and keeps launching terror attacks. I think everyone wants a peaceful resolution, but how do you enforce that when sides don’t want peace? With war and disarming the enemy. The most we can do is hope this conflict ends soon

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon