Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Rant, Moan and Rave - 2010 edition
seventy2 at 7:30AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
ayesinback
now I can't even get it to boot, even while holding F12 (F8 lost its magic awhile ago)

if you do finally get it to boot, do so in safe mode.

Then open nothing else, except system restore. restore it to 2 weeks ago, and call me in the morning.
———

avaition history is a little fun. did you know the US government didn't recognize The wright brothers claims until 1907 or 1910? (one of those years, the other has some other significant event) but because of the late belief, we were late bloomers in the militarization of aviation. tho we did use 12 planes to track down poncho villa.

666, we have a b52 out here on display by that same tail. my type of aircraft has one they use as a test bed. those jets have less scary stories, than the ones that are refurbished “body haulers”.

in high school, history made me not want to be a pilot, and be teacher, or a lifetime learner of history. it may have more to do with the one teacher.

My favorite part of history is the views. America did this. Nope, it really went down this way. I LOVE MULTIPLE SOURCES.
————-

gymtime
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:31PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:59AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Work is progressing smoothly. Up to 8 pencilled pages today (granted, they're not very complicated and I'm leaving out a lot of details for inking) and hoping to do two more.
Not sure how longer the story is going to be (I'm drawing it on the fly following a very loose page layout) but I'm guessing it'll end up 20+ pages (I have a total of 32 pages to use up for the second issue so as long as I fit into that I'll be fine).

So far having a blast. The story's kinda weird. There are bizarre Moebius-inspired symbolic things but also going for “manga dynamism”, creative panelling… and the whole thing is wordless and all conversations are represented as pictorgrams, icons and drawings in word balloons… I have no idea whether this'll work at all or not, but it's fun to work that way.

I HAVE A FIRE IN MY CHEST AND ITS NAME IS COMICS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Salsa at 9:57AM, Dec. 22, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
bravo1102
Hard to live in the shadow of another but once tight fighting companion
Oh you don't know Aussies that well… ;)
We've never even heard of any independent NZ victories, and anything else we completely annex. …sort of like great Canadian film and comedy stars that everyone just assumes are American.

BTW We'd like to officially disown Mel Gibson. He was born in the US and lived there as a kid. He was only here in his late teens and 20's and stuff, then he moved back to his motherland. You can keep him! :)

binaryfaye
More of it on the walls and the counter than in the bowl. So if anyone really really likes divinity you're welcome to lick my kitchen clean. Much appreciated.
Usually the way with delicious home made stuff :(

@ Skull LOL!
Shitwood ^^

Fine, but you get to keep this guy, the crazy with the shotgun.

As for WWII, our major contribution was war material. Most of our major actions didn't happen until later in the war. Speaking as an American, it's the Polish, British, Australians, and several other countries actions that impressed me. Yeah we've got Bastogne, but the Poles have holding off the blitz for six weeks with outdated equipment and aircraft. Speaking of which, the Polish air force almost managed to get a 1 to 1 kill ratio with the Luftwaffe. Let me rephrase that, an air force that was using aircraft that were outdated in the mid twenties was going toe to toe with the most modern air force at the time, and gave almost as good as they got.
RAGE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:19PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 12:29PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(offline)
I don't like using this smilie: :)

I like this one: :D

Just thought I'd say that here…

So yesterday I had my chorus's holiday concert in which I had two solos and was in every number except the two women's groups (High school and middle school).

I felt good.

I also wrote lyrics to a song last night and I kind of like them.

They are not alike to The Rain Song.

All day tomorrow I'll be caroling around my school campus.

I have been updating automatically ever since I got back.
It's been awesome because I'll have a few weeks before I have to pay attention to what's updating.

I just spoke.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
frankkerr at 6:09PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(offline)
lefarce
Oh man I can't wait, this is going to be the hap-hap-happiest christmas ever

Thats the last time I come to the forums high.
Ive been hiding in my attic for 3 hours due to this video.
Shhhh.

My Blog.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
kyupol at 6:23PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
sometimes I think I should GROW UP!

Just when I thought I grew up to fast (learned to be independent of mama and dada from an early age), I realized at this age (27) that I am still immature.

For me its GROW UP OR DIE. No choice. Cant afford one iota of myself to act like a child. Oh dear… lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Ozoneocean at 7:01PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Salsa
the Polish
In military history, the Poles are most fond of their “Winged Hussars”- men in 17th Century style armour (like English roundheads) on horses, armed with lances, and with feathery wings on their backs.
But the Hussars most known and most widespread (by far) in the world are the Hungarian style- with the fancy jackets, the big furry hats, on horses, armed with a sabre and pistols.

What's funny to me is that another popular costumed military unit on horseback that was extremely wide spread and often rode with the Hungarian style Hussars, were the “Lancers”, a Polish themed unit. (often called “Polish Lancers” or “Uhlan”, probably evolved from the winged hussars)

So even though Poles like to try and reclaim the name “hussar” because of that old domestic history, they have an international unit that was just as famous as the more well known hussars and often performed with them that they don't seem to celebrate at all. :)

…Only Bravo and Aurora Borealis will have any idea what I'm talking about :(
kyupol
I realized at this age (27) that I am still immature.
I'll always be a bit immature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Ochitsukanai at 7:54PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Doesn't everyone feel like they're sort of masquerading as responsible citizens and adults?

So I spent all day driving to stores that turned out to be closed and stores that didn't have what I needed, and then I had to buy food I don't eat for a party where I didn't get to stay! I left to meet up with a friend, who left before I got to see him even though he called me to come back. Because I was expecting his call, I'd remained completely sober to drive, but then got stood up, and now there's nowhere to go! Today totally sucked! D:<

Well, I hope the party next week goes better, anyway.

Always, I wanna be with mew, and make believe with mew
and live in harmony harmony oh nyan
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
HippieVan at 8:22PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Hippie Van
My Annie keeps biting me when I whistle. :\
She's a weird cat.
No, that's pretty common. Many cats don't like whistling.

How odd! I would think I would have noticed that before, I whistle quite often. I still maintain that she's a weird cat, though. Our cuddle time usually goes like this:
Purr
Purr
Purr
Purr
BITE
*we stare at each other*
Purr
Purr
Purr
Purr

She seems to have three different sorts of bites. The ones where she is trying to groom me, licking and pulling on my skin as if I have fur. The ones where she's pissed off because I touched her paw or something. And the totally random ones where she still wants to keep being petted.

I think I overestimated how much cat litter I can pull today. My legs are super sore now!
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
seventy2 at 8:24PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Ochitsukanai
Doesn't everyone feel like they're sort of masquerading as responsible citizens and adults?

here here.
facara
Aurora Borealis at 10:50PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
ozoneocean
Salsa
the Polish
In military history, the Poles are most fond of their “Winged Hussars”- men in 17th Century style armour (like English roundheads) on horses, armed with lances, and with feathery wings on their backs.
But the Hussars most known and most widespread (by far) in the world are the Hungarian style- with the fancy jackets, the big furry hats, on horses, armed with a sabre and pistols.

What's funny to me is that another popular costumed military unit on horseback that was extremely wide spread and often rode with the Hungarian style Hussars, were the “Lancers”, a Polish themed unit. (often called “Polish Lancers” or “Uhlan”, probably evolved from the winged hussars)

So even though Poles like to try and reclaim the name “hussar” because of that old domestic history, they have an international unit that was just as famous as the more well known hussars and often performed with them that they don't seem to celebrate at all. :)

…Only Bravo and Aurora Borealis will have any idea what I'm talking about :(
kyupol
I realized at this age (27) that I am still immature.
Haha, yeah. The funny thing about our Hussars and their wings? When they tried to reconstruct these for a movie a nearly deadly flaw came out. If you attach the wing to the back of the rider, the speed will pull him out of the saddle at some point. But if you attach the wing to the horse, it'll slow down the horse considerably.
On the other hand winged enemy charging at you must have been a quite a view, one that would make you shit your pants and flee. And supposedly it freaked out the enemy horses too (although that part might be just a legend or something). Still… PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE :D

- - - -

YESTERDAY! TEN PAGES OF PENCILS! MY PERSONAL BEST!

Ok, the whole story is quite splash-page-a-rific and it doesn't take that long to draw an explosion above a mountain range (especially if you leave all the mountain details to be filled while inking) but that's still quite an achievement. Right?
Aurora Borealis at 11:00PM, Dec. 22, 2010
(online)
Speaking of daily misadventures. On Monday I had three things to do. Take out the trash, pay my internet bill, pick up a package from the post office and perhaps do some food shopping. I decided to do all four in one go to save time and spend less time struggling through the snow.

I got ready, took the trash, left…. and immediately returned before even I managed to go down the stairs. Forgot money. All right, armed with a nice big bill I leave again, throw out the trash, go to the store, buy food… only to realize that I FORGOT THE GODDAMN BILL!
Argh… so back home I go, leave my “shoppings”, take the bill and go to the post office where I'm going to pay and pick up the package… I'm two meters away from the doors of the office and guess what? I forgot that slip of paper they leave in your mailbox whenever there's a package they couldn't (or didn't feel like) delivering.
Well that's just great. So I make the trip back home AGAIN, take the paper and finally arrive at the post office safely.

So much for planning ahead. Instead of doing all of it in let's say half hour, it took me over an hour. I can be soooo well prepared sometimes.

Right, time to get some breakfast in me and then off to draw some more! I need to draw at least 5 pages today to feel satisfied that I'm not wasting my free time!
ayesinback at 9:01AM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
I'm getting ready for some holiday traveling, and hope to get the fun facts (re voice contest) up before I go.

But a thought: how about some more people try and remember to welcome the newbies in the Hello/Goodbyes. Genejoke and justatar can't do it all.

Well, I'm sure they're more than capable, but it wouldn't hurt any newbie to receive *gasp* 2 or (WHAT?) 3 welcomes.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:14AM
bravo1102 at 9:36AM, Dec. 23, 2010
(offline)
Salsa
As for WWII, our major contribution was war material. Most of our major actions didn't happen until later in the war. Speaking as an American, it's the Polish, British, Australians, and several other countries actions that impressed me. Yeah we've got Bastogne, but the Poles have holding off the blitz for six weeks with outdated equipment and aircraft. Speaking of which, the Polish air force almost managed to get a 1 to 1 kill ratio with the Luftwaffe. Let me rephrase that, an air force that was using aircraft that were outdated in the mid twenties was going toe to toe with the most modern air force at the time, and gave almost as good as they got.

The Polish air force had some up to date aircraft in Europe for a small air force. The PZL 37 Los was one of the most advanced light bombers in the world in 1939. The PZL-11c was the most advanced fighter… in 1934. But low wing monoplanes with enclosed cockpits and retractable landing gear burst onto the world so fast that Poland couldn't hope to update fast enough. However the PZL 11c was more manuverable and had better pilot visibility than the Messerschmidts. Speed isn't everything. I knew some of the Polish pilots and met the pilot Wladyslaw Gnys; of the “first kill” a PZL 11c of a Do 17. The Polish Air Force was a first class trained force and outdated equipment doesn't matter as much as everyone makes it out to.

The fighter supremacy race in World War II was marked in months. That's one reason why there were so many marks of Spitfire. (And you can keep your Pokemon I got to have all the marks of Spits!)

In 1940 the most advanced tanks in the world belonged to the French. It was how they were used that mattered. When used effectively a bunch of Pz 38(t) could wipe out a company of Char Bis as well as one Sherman destroyed a platoon of Panthers four years later. But that's nothing compared to the “naked desperation” of Stalingrad factory T-34s driving out the door of the factory fully armed and into combat.

But my favorite stuff is painting up my models and running around the room making “vroom” noises.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
kyupol at 11:42AM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
drunkduck = probably got a little too drunk that it became DOWN-duck. lol!
seventy2 at 11:50AM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
bravo1102
But that's nothing compared to the “naked desperation” of Stalingrad factory T-34s driving out the door of the factory fully armed and into combat.

But my favorite stuff is painting up my models and running around the room making “vroom” noises.

that's more impressive than the liberty ships america needed. building ships in an average of 42 days, during war time…
——-

my shoulder is killing me, but it's a different pain than normal. one that aches to the bone, but feels more susceptible to aspirin…hopefully.
facara
Ozoneocean at 11:59AM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
kyupol
drunkduck = probably got a little too drunk that it became DOWN-duck. lol!
Yeah. It was a shame… :(
seventy2
that's more impressive than the liberty ships america needed. building ships in an average of 42 days, during war time…
No, those Liberty Ships were still impressive. What's even more impressive was how many were still in use Loooooooong after the war ended. You may even be able to find one or two now… unlikely though since ship tech has changed so much and that style of ship is a bit small, slow and awkward for freight anymore. But you could still find them working in the 70s and 80s I think.

——————-

Yay! This week's Quackcast is done!!!! Extra, extra long this time, thanks to feedback and Christmas… Lot's of silly chatting mostly. Listen to the others!!! http://podcast.drunkduck.com/
This one should be up on Tuesday.

I'm off to bed now, I have to finish my secret Santa tomorrow!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Skullbie at 12:44PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
I had a het dream last night 0___o Very bizarro.

And I was so bored last night i started snapping random pics of my cat lol:

I'm making it my mission to get page 6 done today. I want this thing to be done by February at most.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:48PM
kyupol at 4:58PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
skullbie has a fat cat! lol!
Skullbie at 5:20PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
kyupol
skullbie has a fat cat! lol!
She is HUEG <3 She makes that big purse look so tiny.
lefarce at 5:28PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
Het dream or wet dream? Seriously I don't know if you had a typo or you mean “hetero-dream” or what, just wonderin'.

Kool Kat btw.

So I'm deathly sick. Tried to get out of work yesterday and they came at me with “well everyone here is sick! I'm sick. So-and-so has been sick, and blah blah blah”. Boss listed pretty much every employee. Well no fucking wonder the whole store is sick, nobody is willing to fess up and take a day off. I hope I can get rid of it by Christmas. It just won't be as fun if I'm not well enough to chase my dog around and help make christmas dinner. : (

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
seventy2 at 7:55PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
Get better lefarce, i haven't seen you being snippy recently.
——–

I either ignored them, or they haven't been there.
the talking. always with the talking. i have to wait at least 15 seconds before i can force them to shut up.
there in the corner, at the very bottom of the identity bar (that's what i call the thing on the right with my account and the ads and the news)
———-

i just reminisced about the last time i tried to impress a girl with my music abilities. it was All American Rejects “swing swing”
She mentioned in passing that this was her most favorite song ever…
i learned the song, and while she was impressed i wasn't datable material.

years later she told me because her friend liked me, she couldn't make a move….i did date that friend, but one of the worst relationships i've ever had. except physically. then it's like the exact opposite of what i just said. but that's not the kind of person i am…sometimes…meh.
facara
Skullbie at 11:11PM, Dec. 23, 2010
(online)
lefarce
Het dream or wet dream? Seriously I don't know if you had a typo or you mean “hetero-dream” or what, just wonderin'.

Kool Kat btw.

Hetero, apparently i was dating a guy and his father disapproved of me, forgot the rest.

:'D Get well soon!

————

That talking Honda ad up there scared the crap out of me. I thought it was coming from outside my window and froze up for a second.

And the ‘loose lips’ feature is awesome. What a great title.
Aurora Borealis at 12:41AM, Dec. 24, 2010
(online)
Ten pages of pencils yesterday again! Wheee!

And I even managed to see two movies, Sunshine and Star Trek (the fairly new one).

Today I'll be finishing off the third story (5 to 7 pages left) and then… I don't know, either another short comic will get pencilled (I still have a bunch of onepagers sitting in my notes that could be done) or I'll get around inking this stuff.

No christmas for me. It'll be comics, comics, comics all day, every day until I have to take a job or run out of ideas. And I like it that way :D
skoolmunkee at 1:33AM, Dec. 24, 2010
(offline)
I have to say I was feeling a bit low at the beginning of December, but on the 13th things flipped around and started an upward trend. I've had a pretty great couple of weeks - restful, satisfying, productive, lots of nice mail and e-mail, warm and friendly and lovely, snowy and filled with good dvds and good comics and fun projects to work on. No stress, no outside pressure, no expectations from other people. Hopefully it will carry on at least to new year's. :]

Merry christmas eve everybody~
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:21AM, Dec. 24, 2010
(offline)
This game of mafia sucked…for the mafia. :)
The GM'ing was good but they got three hits in a row and only were down two (?) people before they got me on day two.
And now all they have to take out is the bomber.
Feel bad for the last mafia standing, I do.

Other than that I wore a yamaka to school yesterday and no one would ask me if I was Jewish.
I was going to reply “No actually I'm an atheist but you know, I think I should support the people who don't believe in Jesus either.”

Cowards.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
bravo1102 at 6:51AM, Dec. 24, 2010
(offline)
Christmas Eve and here I sit. Working all weekend and amazingly I'm about finished with the script for another story but I'm stuck on building the set for the next one in line to shoot. Just can't get motivated to move all that cardboard and styrofoam around to build a spaceship interior.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
lefarce at 1:02PM, Dec. 24, 2010
(online)
Skullbie
lefarce

Kool Kat btw.

:'D Get well soon!

————

That talking Honda ad up there scared the crap out of me. I thought it was coming from outside my window and froze up for a second.

I'm feeling better now, though my head is still “fuzzy”. Thanks though! : )

That happened to me too, with the Honda ad. I was frantically looking through windows trying to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Genejoke at 2:05PM, Dec. 24, 2010
(online)
It's ten pm and things are ready for christmas. Kids are going to love it. I should get some sleep no doubt they will be up stupidly early.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
lefarce at 2:15PM, Dec. 24, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
It's ten pm and things are ready for christmas. Kids are going to love it. I should get some sleep no doubt they will be up stupidly early.

What did you get them?

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon