Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Radioplay 2015 - What can YOU do to help?
Kroatz at 2:12PM, Dec. 30, 2014
(online)
Hello everyone. I'm DJ, and I would like to ask you something. But first I'm going to type a lengthy introduction, and then a few sentences that illustrate both the passing of time, and the differences between those times and then a slightly shorter paragraph that is meant to inspire. And then comes the question that I mentioned previously. And then, I think, a list. But first the introduction, so here goes:

Maxwell McDuff is a detective. He's fictional, and hard boiled, and slightly inadequate, and very funny. A story was written about him, a long time ago, and the story was judged to be awesome, and other people got involved. We, as a community, worked on something big. We recorded voices, and we recorded sound effects, and we put all the different pieces together. And then we thought, This isn't enough, we can do better, we can do more! And we did. The story was cut into pieces, and distributed among those with enough time, enthusiasm, and talent to make it into something even better. A radioplay was put on the digital equivalent of the air, and a companion comic was posted alongside it. And everyone involved, and even some people that were not, got to share in the glorious feeling of a job well done.

And then, a year later, the second installment of Max's story was created.

And then, another year later, the third.

And then, in 2014, nothing.

And that's a sad thing, for I truly believe that everyone involved in the DD Radioplays, and there were a lot of you, has fond memories of the small part they got to play, or the few frames they got to draw. And it's a sad thing for the Duck, because even if there are still a lot of Writers and Artists posting their work, it is not really a community if projects like the DD Radioplay can be so easily forgotten. I'd like to play my part, and help the rest of you create something big again. I've seen what some of you can create by yourselves, now imagine how great we can be if we work together. So, the question I want to ask, and I'd like each and everyone of you to answer is:

What do you want to do, to help?

This thread is meant to discuss the possibility, and form, of the 2015 Radioplay. Some things that I'd like to know the answers to are listed, but feel free to chime in in any way that you want:
- Do we want to do another?
- Do we want to revisit Maxwell?
- If not Maxwell, what ideas do you have?
- A single radioplay, or a mini series?
- Is the czarina still around?
- Anyone interested in writing?
- Anyone interested in co-writing?
The feeling you get, right before you poop.
That's the best feeling in the world.

- Albert Einstein
HippieVan at 5:35PM, Dec. 30, 2014
(online)
I really hope we do one this year! I'm pretty weird about hearing my own voice (the result of a speech therapy-filled childhood) but I'm happy to do whatever else I can. I'll definitely draw a page or two, and I can provide some publicity through newsposts.
Edit: I would also be happy to listen to the voice try-outs, if we have enough submissions for judges to be necessary.

I like the idea of doing Maxwell McDuff again…I feel like it's a bit of a tradition. But if someone steps up with an alternative script that would be cool too! I think a single radio play is probably best. From what I understand the editing is pretty labour-intensive.

I'll make a newspost about this on Friday to see if I can get more people involved in the conversation. :)
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
last edited on Dec. 30, 2014 5:47PM
usedbooks at 6:55PM, Dec. 30, 2014
(online)
These projects help me get comfortable with my weird voice! :) I'd be happy to lend it again.
Ozoneocean at 11:32PM, Dec. 31, 2014
(online)
I'd like another. I'm with Hippie: McDuff has become a tradition, a fixture, our avatar! Another adventure could work.
Maybe even more than one play? Maybe two at the same time? -Maxwell McDuff and a second as yet unamed and new thing.
The voice actors can pull double duty, so that'd save on origanisation and chasing people up.

How about it?
Kroatz at 2:29AM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
I'd love something different from old Max, so my preference goes to two seperate plays. It could then also be a cross-over thing, or maybe the Maxwell McDuff play is a show on the radio in the other story? What if we'd go full science fiction? Imagine all the cool sound effects!

- Albert Einstein
Call Me Tom at 11:46AM, Jan. 1, 2015
(offline)
How a bout a Bill Duck story? With over the top jungle adventurers, a blimp and a who done it on a world class cruse ship! Plus a bit with every ones favorite washed out P.I.!

Actually thats a ctap idea forget I said any thing.
I'm sorry for any offence I cause.
HippieVan at 1:48PM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
@Kroatz: I'd be in favour of two radio plays, but I think doing a story-within-a-story might get too confusing.

@Call Me Tom: Didn't the last radio play also have Bill Duck in it? That sounds like a great story, though!
ayesinback at 8:03PM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
This thread is meant to discuss the possibility, and form, of the 2015 Radioplay. Some things that I'd like to know the answers to are listed, but feel free to chime in in any way that you want:
- Do we want to do another?
- Do we want to revisit Maxwell?
- If not Maxwell, what ideas do you have?
- A single radioplay, or a mini series?
- Is the czarina still around?
- Anyone interested in writing?
- Anyone interested in co-writing?
Hi, (answer to bullet 5) and happy New Year. :)

So there's love for mio bambino; that's lovely. I can help, and I mean help, but Not carry it as in the past. I said this in 2013 and got somewhat screwed until ozone picked up what someone else had promised to manage.

So the first question is: is this still a Community Project? Even when the site wasn't hooked up to life support (like now), it wasn't easy drumming up widespread support. So if only four folks want in, then do something among the four.

Assuming there's wider interest, then I suggest that a call for scripts goes out. Before asking for scripts, decide on rules. For example, I always insisted on a minimum of 10 characters (again, looking for wide community involvement). That may not apply these days.

As to genre, my preference was Always to have different genres (I had really hoped for a Wild West), but year 2 our judges picked Gunwallace's as best, and then year 3, only Gunwallace wrote a script: again, Maxwell. I say move on, but I personally believe best script wins, and that's author's choice. Note: if more than one script comes in, I'd get some script judges again. Five worked well.

The czarina made very few unilateral decisions – it was usually managed to be fair and community-based. But that was then, and needs must now.
You TOO can be (multiple choice)
HippieVan at 8:43PM, Jan. 1, 2015
(online)
Great advice, Czarina! I've got a newspost about this thread going up tomorrow so we'll throw ideas around for another week or so, and then I'll put out a call for scripts on the front page once we've decided on some rules. :)
bravo1102 at 5:58AM, Jan. 2, 2015
(offline)
And what would a DD Radio play be without bravo? (in your best Scottish brogue) It'd be CRAAAP!

And to reiterate the threat of previous years, sign up or it will be all bravo all the time with dolls and every voice by me! Did four in 2013, I could easily do every male voice. (except Max)

Bill Duck the action figure meets the robofemoids. Well it would be sci-fi and we can all get really creative with how not to show women topless. (with an appearance by Maxwell McDuff) Yeah Max can't even get top billing in a story about him.
Gunwallace at 10:13AM, Jan. 2, 2015
(offline)
I have a text file on my computer that reads …
Radio Play 2014 idea
The Time Travelling Pair o' Ducks
Bill Duck and Drunk Duck (his brother) in a time travel paradox story, still narrated by MaxWell McDuff.
But that's as far as I got since there was no call for scripts.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
Ozoneocean at 12:23PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
!!!!!!They can travel back in time to do the 2014 play!
Kroatz at 12:28PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
Bill Duck, travelling through time with his little alcoholic brother, the black sheep of the family. A magical artifact, with a malicious aura, casting them into different eras, where they inevitably cause trouble. Through their differences we learn a lesson about the meaning of life, the pain of love, and most of all, the importance of family. It's sort of similar to previous themes, but different enough to still feel fresh.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had a list as well, mine read:

2014 Radioplay Ideas:
- A rather unlucky man and his girlfriend are forced to fight crime when a kingpin criminal mistakes them for a superhero duo and blackmails them into taking out the competition. The original heroes are not pleased.

- An unwitting werewolf takes a job as a night guard at a high school. A group of students accidentally kidnaps a teacher as their senior prank. A thieving duo attempts to steal the school mascot, a famous goat.

- A native American and his cowgirl sidekick are duped into becoming a town's sheriff and deputy, and try through a series of ill-conceived plots to remove the group of criminals that have recently taken up residence.

- An extra-terrestial author travels through the history of Earth, writing a novel on earthlings. She befriends a dishonest little boy that takes on the job of explaining and translating things both of them know nothing about.

- Three brothers on a quest from their father, the king, travel to win his favor. Along the way they encounter magical beings, and are taught wildly different lessons. Meanwhile, their little sister wins their father's affection.

- A mad scientist falls in love with his undead creation. He attempts to make her love him back, but the constant sabotage by his underpaid servant Igor, and the almost weekly angry mobs complicate things.

- Albert Einstein
gene hole at 12:41PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
This is a thing which needs to happen again.
And like others voiced here, I'd like to see a new direction for the story, something in a different genre. Western, Sci-Fi, even the Bill Duck idea mentioned above. A few good ideas have been suggested, I'd be up for taking part in any one of them.
Imitation is the sincerest form of mimicry.
HippieVan at 2:08PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
I really like the idea of a Bill Duck story.

Should we maybe come up with some general guidelines for scripts, e.g. length, number of characters?
Kroatz at 2:40PM, Jan. 2, 2015
(online)
If we want, yes. I was planning on giving any interested parties a few more days to show their interest. Not everyone that might like to do some writing checks in as regularly, and they might not have seen this thread yet.

Also, do you wonderful people think it's a good idea to have any interested parties write a bit of sample script first? Or maybe a 1-page concept document? In the old Mafia game that type of incremental progress gave everyone an opportunity to show their stuff, kept the process visible to everyone, and made everyone feel like the project (or in that case, game) was still progressing.

- - - - - -

Here's what I was thinking for the final scripts:
- 10 characters minimum.
- Write at least half of the parts gender neutral.
- No adult materials.
- At least 15 minutes of material.

Any notes, or changes recommended?

- - - - - -

Keep in mind by the way, that it is Januari 2nd. (or 3rd, I hear you people have different clocks or something) There is still a substantial portion of the year left, and although speed is a good thing, haste is most definitely not. There should be at least a month between now and final scripts, in my opinion, to give everyone, no matter skill or amount of free time, a chance to write something good.

Let me know what you think!

- Albert Einstein
bravo1102 at 4:08AM, Jan. 3, 2015
(offline)
Bill Duck arrives from Africa and is wrongfully dianosed with some rare tropical disease and it is up to Max McDuff and Frenchie to wade through a maze of health insurance, paperwork and looney medical pratitioners to rescue him. We could see the return of some classic characters like Dr Morose and Ling.
tupapayon at 5:56AM, Jan. 3, 2015
(online)
Sounds like a worthy project… my free time is slim, but I'd like to contribute somehow… probably a small contribution… my writing is not the best, neither my art… and my voice is not really flexible… but there's gotta be something…
awsome owl 98 at 12:03PM, Jan. 3, 2015
(offline)
Sounds great! I'm going to try to write a script again this year.
HippieVan at 5:17PM, Jan. 3, 2015
(online)
Kroatz wrote:
Here's what I was thinking for the final scripts:
- 10 characters minimum.
- Write at least half of the parts gender neutral.
- No adult materials.
- At least 15 minutes of material.

Any notes, or changes recommended?

- - - - - -

Keep in mind by the way, that it is Januari 2nd. (or 3rd, I hear you people have different clocks or something) There is still a substantial portion of the year left, and although speed is a good thing, haste is most definitely not. There should be at least a month between now and final scripts, in my opinion, to give everyone, no matter skill or amount of free time, a chance to write something good.

Is it realistic to ask that half of the parts be gender neutral? I guess for the smaller roles it wouldn't be a problem. I'm not much of a writer, could other people chime in on how feasible this would be?

When did you want me to put out a call for scripts? Next week, the week after?

Edit: Also, how will the final script(s) be chosen? A panel of judges? Popular vote?

Editedit: Goddamnit, editing posts on this site is such a pain.
last edited on Jan. 3, 2015 5:27PM
Faliat at 1:55AM, Jan. 4, 2015
(offline)
I keep wanting to take part in these but recording time is so limited for me because of background noise. This month might be when my parents move out, though and then I will have time to re-record at will if any problems arise so I'm a maybe here.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Banes at 2:37PM, Jan. 4, 2015
(offline)
I'd love to take part, definitely try to contribute a script and certainly do a character voice (or two if needed). I have horror/suspense idea, where a group of various eccentric strangers arrives at a house and are killed/disappeared one by one. Bill Duck or Maxwell could certainly be there, too!!

Having a script submission deadline like before made sense; that's a full script, around 15 minutes in play format. Ayes had a format guide that was used.

Having script judges like before also makes sense.

PBandJ at 4:55AM, Jan. 5, 2015
(online)
I would love to be of any help I can. My strengths lie in writing (I have written for “radio”, and have had two scripts produced and aired) and given my love for the golden age of radio, the gumshoe is right up my dark, dank alley.
I have also played small parts in other audio production and do a great announcer voice. :)
If there is interest in a change in the production, perhaps an anthology of very short stories?
Kroatz at 10:00AM, Jan. 5, 2015
(online)
Okay, Yes, I'm glad that people seem interested in helping out!

—————————————————————-
RADIOPLAY CREATION AND SELECTION RULES
—————————————————————-
Here's what we're going to do:
- If you want to write a play, say so in this thread, or (preferably) send me a PQ.
- By January 20th at the latest, send me a little something about your radioplay, this can take the form of a preview page, a short synopsis, a character list, a little comic you drew, or any other thing that you think sums up the mood, story, or main selling point of your tale. (to be used as a part of the Radioplay companion comic)
- By February 5th at the latest, send me your finished scripts.
- The script(s) that we will be making into a radioplay, or a series of radioplays, will be chosen by a panel of expert judges.
- If you'd like to be in the jury, (and are indeed not one of the contestants) send me a PQ by January 20th at the latest. Merely wanting to part of the judges does not guarantee a spot.
- After the judges have chosen a script, or multiple scripts, there will be a call for voices, with its own set of rules, and a call for comic artists, also with its own set of rules, to be decided later.
- The writers that send in their stuff, and were chosen, will be consulted on some of the further decisions about their work. They might be asked to write more material, or alter their work in a small way.
- No adult materials.
- At least 15 minutes of material, although longer is ok.
- 10 characters minimum.
- Write as many parts as possible gender neutral.

————————————————————

Things you might want to think about:
- Different formats encouraged, but not required, like a few small episodes, or something with songs.
- This is a webcomic site, make sure the material is not just people talking, but has some action we can draw as well.
- Writing with a writing partner, more material in less time, and the instant feedback that comes with collaboration.
- Humor. Although of course a serious or dramatic play will be judged on its own merits.
- Space, Pirates, Cowboys, Knights, Detectives, Zombies, Dragons, Witches, Aliens, Soldiers, Gangsters, Romance, Musicians, Slime, Clowns, Dogs and of course Superheroes.

- Albert Einstein
Kroatz at 2:54AM, Jan. 8, 2015
(online)

SCRIPT WRITERS:
Gunwallace, Kroatz

COMIC ARTISTS:
- (to be asked for later) -

VOICE ACTORS:
- (to be asked for later) -

OTHER HELP:
Tupapayon, HippieVan, Kawaiidaigakusei, Bravo1102

- Albert Einstein
last edited on Jan. 11, 2015 10:38AM
VinoMas at 9:31PM, Jan. 10, 2015
(offline)
I'd love to participate as a comic artist and voice actor! Princess January can as well!
Kroatz at 4:48PM, Jan. 11, 2015
(online)
That's awesome, I'll shoot you a message once we reach that part of the process. Keep an eye on your DD inbox! In the meantime, any interest in writing a script of your own?

There's a lot of you that would write a very interesting piece. Please, now's the time! Try something new!

- Albert Einstein
VinoMas at 10:48PM, Jan. 11, 2015
(offline)
I'd love to. I ‘m just worried about time and I need to read the the other posts on here so I know what’s going on. :) If I can write one out, I'll submit by the 20th.
awsome owl 98 at 4:24PM, Jan. 18, 2015
(offline)
I've sent you my scriptidea/preview via PQ.
Kroatz at 1:59PM, Jan. 19, 2015
(online)
Okay, cool cool cool! Any other last minute writers, send me something, anything, and you've got another two weeks to send in a finished script! We've already got four times the writers we had two years ago, and a billion times more than last year, so we're heading in the right direction!

- Albert Einstein

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon