HA Characters

HERO: The Bujin
ironhand at 5:21AM, Aug. 18, 2012
(offline)
I'm working on a hero ninja who works in Japan - I'm currently working on his look for when he comes in HA. I'm struggling trying to find a name for him, though. Does anyone have a good one for a ninja like him?
Stop looking at my signature and read my comics!!
last edited on Feb. 11, 2014 11:27PM
Koikoi at 8:45AM, Aug. 18, 2012
(online)
ironhand wrote:
I'm working on a hero ninja who works in Japan - I'm currently working on his look for when he comes in HA. I'm struggling trying to find a name for him, though. Does anyone have a good one for a ninja like him?
Depends. What is he like?
last edited on Feb. 11, 2014 11:29PM
ironhand at 10:05AM, Aug. 18, 2012
(offline)
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:

He's a lone samurai in Osaka, Japan. He acts the way Batman does in terms of Gotham - he is invested in the streets and cleaning them up. He wields a sword and sticks to the shadows.
last edited on Feb. 11, 2014 11:30PM
Koikoi at 6:14PM, Aug. 18, 2012
(online)
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:

He's a lone samurai in Osaka, Japan. He acts the way Batman does in terms of Gotham - he is invested in the streets and cleaning them up. He wields a sword and sticks to the shadows.
What about Baku. In Japanese mythology a Baku is a beast that eats nightmares.
ironhand at 8:29AM, Aug. 19, 2012
(offline)
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:

That's pretty cool. There's going to be a ninja clan in this story and I think I'll cool them the Baku - it makes them scarier than just a name I was going for. Regarding this hero, I'm leaning towards “The Ronin”
Koikoi at 2:50AM, Aug. 20, 2012
(online)
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:

That's pretty cool. There's going to be a ninja clan in this story and I think I'll cool them the Baku - it makes them scarier than just a name I was going for. Regarding this hero, I'm leaning towards “The Ronin”
Ronin sounds cool! But I think that Marvel already has a ninja character with that name. Why not try “The Shinobi” literally meaning “The Ninja”.
Anyway, If you ever needhelp with anything regarding Ninjas just ask me because I took Ninjitsu for a couple of years and still have my notes laying around.
ironhand at 9:55AM, Aug. 20, 2012
(offline)
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:

Ronin sounds cool! But I think that Marvel already has a ninja character with that name. Why not try “The Shinobi” literally meaning “The Ninja”.
Anyway, If you ever needhelp with anything regarding Ninjas just ask me because I took Ninjitsu for a couple of years and still have my notes laying around.
My issue with Shinobi is the fact maybe it's a little too Japanese, if you get what I mean? There's already quite alot of ninjarey and japanese words that I thought “The Ronin” sounds dark enough. I understand there's a Marvel one - I haven't read him/her but I think mine will be pretty dark in comparison.
Koikoi at 7:33PM, Aug. 20, 2012
(online)
@ ironhand
I get your point and I have to admit “The Ronin” is tuelly fitting.
I'm sort of just worried about ©.
ironhand at 11:44PM, Aug. 20, 2012
(offline)
Koikoi wrote:
@ ironhand
Yeah, copyright is abit of an issue. Is there anything else that sounds a little like “Ronin” meaning something to do with ninja/samurai stuff? I like Shinobi, but then it doesn't sound as dark when saying it as Ronin does.
Koikoi at 3:02AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(online)
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
@ ironhand
Yeah, copyright is abit of an issue. Is there anything else that sounds a little like “Ronin” meaning something to do with ninja/samurai stuff? I like Shinobi, but then it doesn't sound as dark when saying it as Ronin does.
What about Bujin (武神), meaning God of Military Arts or Divine Warrior.
ironhand at 5:19AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(offline)
Koikoi wrote:
ironhand wrote:
Koikoi wrote:
@ ironhand
What about Bujin (武神), meaning God of Military Arts or Divine Warrior.
ThatI like! Bujin it is! Thanks, koikoi!
Abt_Nihil at 5:23AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(offline)
Regarding copyright: The fact that there's a character with the same name doesn't automatically mean that the name is copyrighted. There are three or four “Bombshell” characters I'm aware of, but as far as I know, it's completely legitimate to sell a Bombshell comic (I looked through the copyright office database: http://www.copyright.gov). I had to learn this the hard way, since I actually came in contact with a fraud who claimed he had the rights to that name - turns out he didn't. I bet a name like “Ronin” isn't too rare - I mean, there's even a movie with that name.
ironhand at 9:06AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(offline)
Abt_Nihil wrote:
Regarding copyright: The fact that there's a character with the same name doesn't automatically mean that the name is copyrighted. There are three or four “Bombshell” characters I'm aware of, but as far as I know, it's completely legitimate to sell a Bombshell comic (I looked through the copyright office database: http://www.copyright.gov). I had to learn this the hard way, since I actually came in contact with a fraud who claimed he had the rights to that name - turns out he didn't. I bet a name like “Ronin” isn't too rare - I mean, there's even a movie with that name.
The only problem with these two “Ronin's” is that they may be too much alike in terms of copyright. Both are ninjas fighting the Japanese underworld with relationships with a superhero team. I know I've said mine is darker, but if people just look at this as a copy of the Marvel Ronin - I'd rather the name was different just so they don't constantly think back to the Marvel Ronin. - If that makes sense lol
last edited on Feb. 11, 2014 11:31PM
Abt_Nihil at 10:26AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(offline)
Ah, got it :p
ironhand at 11:58AM, Aug. 21, 2012
(offline)
Abt_Nihil wrote:
Ah, got it :p
Thanks for the copyright link, though. That's something I'd like to look into regards other things.
shastab24 at 6:55PM, Aug. 21, 2012
(online)
And the copyright legalities aside, one can run into the problem of trademark. I'm sure Marvel has a strong trademark on Ronin, so it would be difficult to negotiate with that.

Actually, I find it interesting it Bombshell, Abt. You seem to e the first to have put a comic named as such on IndyPlanet, but there is another Bombshell series currntly on there. Knowing Marvel's dealings over the years with Captain Marvel, of needing to put out a book every so often with that name so DC can't do so with their character, it makes me think that, if you wanted to, you might be able to stake a claim on the Bombshell name. I don' think you would do that t that other creator, though, so I think that makes the name “Bombshell” a bit less problematic for one to use.

Legal stuff is weird, though. Like with the public domain–I love the characters that have entered it, but nothing else really can in the US (thanks to Disney and Sonny Bono) and it's apparently possible now for works to be taken out of the public domain, which doesn't make sense to me.
ironhand at 1:58AM, Oct. 16, 2012
(offline)

The Bujin- Kenuicho Yakuri
He's not actually going to be a propermember of the team but will help out if asked and HA will help him out if he asks etc.
He's going to appear in my ninja issue - so here's the ref.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon