Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013
Banes at 9:07PM, May 7, 2013
(offline)
Ray Harryhausen passed away today.

Oh, man - I
vividly remember watching The 7th voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the
Argonauts as a kid and being stunned by those flicks, the skeleton
sword fight in particular.

They got my brother and i so excited, those flicks, that we'd re-enact those battles in the basement and yard. Evil skeletons would play a big role in lots of our games…as would monsters and giants…

…I STILL fear the Kraken, I must admit…(Harryhausen did the original Clash of the Titans movie).

Gunwallace at 10:57PM, May 7, 2013
(offline)
The first time I saw Jason and the Argonauts I had nightmares about stop-motion skeletons for weeks. The man was a genius.
David ‘Gunwallace’ Tulloch, www.virtuallycomics.com
bravo1102 at 2:08AM, May 8, 2013
(offline)
Read the book From the Land Beyond Beyond : the Films of Willis O'Brien and Ray Harryhausen.
http://www.amazon.com/From-Land-Beyond-Harryhausen-Windhover/dp/0425035069
Really inspiring stuff. He did what he could on the budgets he could get. If only he had gotten the money thrown away on CGI these days. And what is even better a lot of his models and armitures still exist.

Incredible how he was able to make Greeks fighting what were only 24 inch tall models so believable.
Banes at 8:48AM, May 8, 2013
(offline)
Looks like an awesome book! Gonna have to try n' find it for a reasonable price if possible.

Ozoneocean at 12:50AM, May 9, 2013
(online)
Loved them, especially Sinbad!
PIT_FACE at 7:49PM, May 19, 2013
(online)
I also have fond memories. My dad and i'd watch Jason and the Argonauts over and over again when i was a kid and i still think that that is part of what wetted my tongue for the great love of Greek history and culture i've developed. Those skeletons were insanely bad ass, even today, such ferocity evne in their faces. Like those things just HATED.

Talos was another favorite of mine from that movie. I must've seen it over a hundred times by now and i still lose my shit when he turns his head and looks down at Hercules for the first time. Not to mention that movie just had awesome dialogue. That wasnt Harryhausen's dept i know but still. i had to say it.

anything he did was just awesome though. Such expressive life like movements and those faces got imprinted into your memory so easily. Medusa's gotta be another one of my faves.

last edited on May 19, 2013 7:54PM
Warpedwenger at 8:54AM, June 2, 2013
(offline)
I met Ray Harryhuasen at Comicon about 5 years ago. It was the only time in my life I've ever been star struck. I was in another universe.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon